Seeds (Certification and Standards) Act, 1972
SEEDS (CERTIFICATION AND STANDARDS) ACT, 1972
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
I. Importation. exportation or sale of seeds.
3. Obstruction of inspectors.
4. Seizure of seeds or package.
6. Certificate of analyst.
7. Offences by bodies of persons.
SEEDS (CERTIFICATION AND STANDARDS) ACT, 19721
AN ACT to provide for the regulation of the importation and exportation of seeds
and for related matters.
1. Importation, exportation or sale of seeds
(1) Subject to this Act and to the Prevention and Control of Pests and Diseases of
Plants Act. 1965 (Act 307) a person shall not
(a) import. export or sell a seed unless the seed is of the standard prescribed
and is packaged and labelled in the prescribed manner;
(b) import. export or sell a seed of a variety that is not approved for sale by the
(c) import. export or sell a seed under a grade name so closely resembling a grade
name established by the Regulations unless the seed conforms to the
standard in relation to that grade and is packaged and labelled in the prescribed manner.
(2) Without prejudice to subsection (1). a person shall not import the seeds of a crop.
including seeds which enter the Republic through diplomatic channels from foreign countries. unless the seeds are approved by the Plant Quarantine Unit of the Ministry of
(3) Where seeds produced in the Republic are sold or held for the purpose of cleaning.
subsection (1) (a) shall not apply to those seeds.
(4) Subsection (1) (b) shall not apply to seeds or roots and vegetables.
I. This Act was issued as the Seeds (Certification and Standards) Decree. 1972 (N.R.C.D. 1(0) made
on the 30th day of August. 1972. and notified in the Gazette on 8th September. 1972.
VII - 951